Product Designer & Owner
Idaho Falls, Idaho | Full-time
About the job
LabStats is searching for both a creative and analytical person with a passion for envisioning, designing, and building software products. We are a SaaS EdTech company building a business intelligence platform and we believe that design is critical to taking it to the next level. We’re looking for someone to help take on a substantial amount of ownership and impact for all of our future product work. We hope you’ll join us on this journey!
Remote or from our Idaho Falls, ID office
What You Will Do:
You will join a small product development team who develops new products and features within the LabStats platform. You will have the responsibility and fulfillment that comes with individually owning a significant portion of that process and will engage in hybrid activities often performed by people with different job titles like UX Designer, UI Designer, Product Owner, and Project Manager. Specifically, you will:
- EXPLORE & ENVISION. You’ll take desired business outcomes and will dream up the ways that software can be used to achieve those outcomes. You will work with the product team to take abstract goals like “make it easier to manage computer labs in higher education” and envision the software that can make that happen.
- DESIGN & BUILD. After envisioning ideas and solutions, you’ll follow your design process to capture and communicate your ideas so they can be further explored, refined, and improved. You’ll design the product or feature in every sense— the user experience, the user interface, the information architecture, etc. You’ll often create visual wireframes, mockups, and even POCs.
- TEST & REITERATE. You’ll test your assumptions, user behaviors, and your designs and improve your work iteratively so that risk of projects is reduced and we can realize the best outcomes as we commit to projects and send your work to the engineering department for buildout.
- DEFINE, DIRECT & SHIP. You’ll define the engineering work for your projects, setting business rules, writing user stories, and choosing milestones for the engineering team that lead to shipping your products out to customers within our lean product development process. Inevitably, we’ll learn more and hit challenges along the way, so you’ll adapt and continue to direct your plan all the way through to the finish line.
You don’t have to have experience in all of the areas of the job—LabStats is a place of opportunity to learn and grow. We do care deeply about the following, however:
- You have a good sense for how software products should be designed and built
- You are creative and analytical at the same time
- You are collaborative, yet an independent driver
- You can handle abstract concepts well
- You are opinionated
- You have a culture of continuously learning and improving, from your skills and the way you work, to the the ins and outs of our industry and customers
Life at LabStats:
- We’re a small company and team. Everyone is involved in the critical work and we all wear a lot of hats.
- We aren’t deadline driven. We’re quality and experience driven.
- We’re disciplined. We have a high bar for quality, professionalism, and attitude. But we have fun and we bend the rules.
- We collaborate, work, and succeed as a team.
- Comprehensive insurance with company contribution (health, dental, vision, life)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous PTO & flexible schedules
- Startup environment with the stability of a profitable, 18-year business
LabStats has been trusted by nearly 1,000 colleges and universities all over the world to help analyze on-campus technology usage so that they can optimize resources, reduce costs, and improve the student experience. LabStats has been the preferred hardware and software tracking solution among higher education IT professionals for the past 18 years, and it keeps getting better.